New Year’s resolutions are thought about, discussed and maybe even planned, but rarely are they carried out. In fact, most people with New Year’s resolutions are off track after just one week into the New Year. I don’t want to write another blog on healthy eating and exercise. Rather, I would like to encourage you to start the New Year with intention AND attention to a topic I call self-love.
This topic came up because recently my two year old has been randomly telling me throughout the day, “I love you so much.” It’s unbelievably precious. He will then follow it with, “I love brother, I love Daddy, I love sister and I love you so much”. This led my 4 year old to say something similar, but he included another love which some could argue is the most important….his tribute of love is completed with saying, “and I love myself”. Little ones are the greatest teachers aren’t they! So full of pure positive energy, they live in the moment and they know how to have fun. Life can be joyful and fun, even amongst the grand or menial challenges we all face. I always preach that the foundation of living should be firmly based in health because health gives you the platform to live fully. The first step to living a life you love, that will inherently lead to prime health, is to practice and make a decisive choice to love yourself more.
So, what can we do to cultivate a delicious, soulful and rich self-love? I think focusing on these 5 ideas is a good place to start. Contemplate each topic and set an intention to work fervently on one concept per month to set better habits of self-love.
- Value yourself and know your worth. Are you standing in your own way of reaching your goals? Let it go and affirm your light, let it shine bright.
- Respect yourself. Are there people, things or habits in your life that you know are toxic to your well being? Do what honors and upholds your values. DETOX and start today!
- Gratitude – for your unique self and all you have. You have so much more than you realize. When you can be so appreciative for the fact that you have all of your basic needs met, the real magic happens. For just TWO minutes, say and feel your appreciation for anything and everything that you can think of – your house that gives you a home, your crazy sibling that helps strive to be more peaceful, your job that provides for your family, the food that fuels your body or the farmers who planted it or the earth that cultivates it! You get the idea.
- Forgiveness. Let go of your pride and bask in the freedom of forgiveness! Make the effort to forgive yourself and forgive others. This is such a huge teaching and those who can truly learn how to forgive and actually move forward, have 100x more health, joy and productivity in life.
- Have some fun! Playing will always bring you into the present moment. Discover activities that enhance your level of enjoyment. Try something new. Move your body. To renew your enjoyment in something, think about what your motives are.
Witten by Dr. Andrea Minesaki. Dr. Minesaki specializes in optimizing health and treating men, women and children with acute or chronic health conditions. She offers patient focused care, utilizing the tools that are best suited to support her patient’s individual needs or goals.Dr. Minesaki is offering acute visits and wellness care for our pediatric patients. Please call the office at 480-970-0077 to schedule a visit.