Did you know that in your home, you have tools that are ready to mend a sore throat, cold, heart burn and ulcers, migraines, ward off cancer and arthritis and treat hemorrhoids? I’ll list just a few fun things that you can pull out when needed to relieve certain discomforts.
Let’s start with sore throat. There are two very helpful tools that work really quickly regardless of whether it’s caused by strep or by post nasal drip.
- Carrot Poultice: Chop carrots into fine slivers. Wet a washcloth and ring out tightly. Put in refrigerator until very cold (ice box is fine too). When cloth is really cold, fold to the width of your neck and place shredded carrots into the center. Place raw carrots directly over neck and wrap the cloth tightly around your neck. To hold in place use a scarf or a sweatshirt, tying the arms around your neck tightly. If your throat pain comes back and the cloth has warmed, remake a new one. The carrot root has enzymes in it that are very drawing and will pull out the inflammation.
- Cayenne pepper makes an awesome gargle – put about a tsp into 1 c warm water and gargle away. If you want to swallow some, it only helps, although may not be your favorite flavor or feeling initially.
- Apple Cider vinegar in water with a ratio of 2 tsp to 8 ounces helps to alkalinize your body, warding off infection and inflammation beautifully. Consider a glass before each meal.
Heartburn uses the same remedies plus two more.
- Cayenne pepper, same ratio as above drunk at least once daily, if not more, stimulates your lining to create mucus (a natural process) which heals any erosions. If you are nervous about doing this because you are already burning, make it about 1/8the the strength and build up slowly. It may initially feel worse, but should turn around very quickly, within 4 hours or so. If not, your body may lack the ability to make mucin. This is a natural process, but if it has been suppressed for years with antacids or acid blockers, so be careful, but at the same time, be adventurous.
- Apple cider vinegar as above is another daily support drink for unbalanced stomach acid/mucin suffers.
- Potatoes, when blended have the same “mucin” look. Blend in a vitamixer/blender with sharp blade or juicer and eat with spoon or drink to sooth and heal ulcers, inflammation.
- Baking powder in water is another alkalinizer plus acid reducer. Place 1 tsp of baking powder (aluminum free) into ½ c water and drink every 15 minutes until your acid reduces. Make sure that your baking powder is aluminum free because if it doesn’t say it is aluminum free, it is not. Baking powder is made up of baking soda and an acid of aluminum sulfate.
Sinus inflammation, allergies, colds AND migraine or headache suffers, try this!
- Place a small amount of cayenne pepper in your hand and sniff into both nostrils, one at a time. This will cause irritation which may feel like burning or cause excessive sneezing for a minute. IT IS NOT FOR THE LIGHT AT HEART! I will say, that once you get through it (if you do) the irritation/burning etc, you will be happy you did it (I hope)!
- Once it settles down, place a few drops of ghee (clarified) butter into nostrils. It will soothe and add to the anti-inflammatory properties of capsicum.
We all want to prevent cancer and arthritis, right? Why not stay alkaline with apple cider vinegar? Use the recipe above and drink morning and night minimally, check your pH with pH paper and make sure your urine pH is 6.8 or higher. Also consider drinking cayenne pepper warm water, recipe above or using cayenne pepper capsules as a supplement.
We all want to have a strong immune system and soft heals right? Wet sock therapy is awesome to aide in both. Here is how you do it.
- Get a thin pair of socks and moisten the toe to heal.
- Ring out tightly.
- Place in refrigerator until really cold.
- When ready for bed, place cold socks on feet and then put a thick pair of socks over the top (wool or cotton will do). Go to sleep. When you awaken, both socks should be completely dry. If not, the next night, only moisten socks part of the way (toes only). What happens is that while you sleep, if your feet are cold, your body will naturally vasodilate to warm the feet. All night long, your body is vasodilated and this is when your immune system makes antibodies more abundantly. If you have an acute cold of just want to strengthen your immune system during cold and flu season, wet sock therapy is awesome – especially following an Epsom salt bath!
Stomach inflammation, menstrual discomfort and bloating, abdominal pain, constipation – we have a defense against you! Castor oil packs! To make packs at home, pull out your castor oil and saturate a washcloth. Place it over your lower abdomen, your liver or upper stomach (wherever you are having the discomfort). Place a hot water bottle over the top and relax for ½ hour. Castor oil is a counter irritant which means that it flushes any tissue it comes in contact with. When you apply heat, it penetrates its properties into the tissue being treated.
Okay, the best for last. If you suffer hemorrhoids, you’ll love this. The potatoe gains more respect! Cut a piece of potato about the size of your pinky, last digit. Make sure no skin is on it and slice it around the outside to express some juice. Insert into your anus (use a lubricant if necessary) and leave it in until your next bowel movement. You’ll poop it out, but in the meantime, the potato, like the carrot has enzymes in it as it is a root vegetable that is drawing. It will draw inflammation and minimize pain and aide in healing significantly.